These vegan black bean burgers are simple to make and packed with smoky flavours. If you’ve been looking for a simple yet delicious go-to plant-based burger recipe, this is it!
Believe it or not, this is my first burger recipe on the blog! You guys have asked me several times for a great vegan burger recipe, and although I already have this recipe for vegan mushroom sliders and this one for banh mi vegan sliders, I’ve yet to develop a kick-ass full-size burger.
Not for lack of trying, mind you. I’m always working on burger recipes but so far none of them have made the cut for publication. I wanted to bring you something that checks all the boxes for simplicity, flavour, hold-together-ness (new word I just made up) and quickness. So here are the vegan black bean burgers!
This post contains affiliate links. Please see our disclosure policy.
Unfortunately, though, I can’t take credit for creating this recipe (whomp whomp). It was one of the recipes from the 14-day plant-based meal plan that came along with the Vegan Starter Kit that was created by the bloggers over at Nutriciously.
The Vegan Starter Kit is an uh-mazing resource for people looking to transition to a plant-based diet. It’s packed with information and actionable steps you can take to going fully plant-based and explains why you should! It comes along with a recipe book of 40+ simple plant-based recipes and a 14-day meal plan with shopping lists.
I spent a week trying out the recipes from week 2 of the meal plan and ate some super tasty meals! First up was the Caribbean bowl.
It’s got quinoa, sweet potato, pineapple and other veggies but the best part is the super flavourful oil-free dressing (yes, you can have flavour without the fat).
Then I tried the red lentil chili with rice. This was a great 30-minute weeknight dinner and we all know how nutritious lentils are!
Since I love curry of all types I wanted to try the Thai green curry. This one’s great for spice lovers and just look how veggie-packed it is!
But my favourite best recipe of all was the vegan black bean burgers. It was so good that I asked Nutriciously for permission to republish it and share it with you!
These burgers come together in less than 30 minutes, have a delicious smoky flavour from the paprika (my favourite spice) and great texture from the combination of walnuts, brown rice and semi-smashed beans.
The recipe makes four ½ inch thick burgers patties. Thin veggie burger patties like this hold together much better than thicker ones so don’t be tempted to make them too thick.
Also be sure to squeeze the mixture together really well and let the patties cool for a few minutes before serving. All these tips will prevent your burgers from falling apart as you eat them!
Wanna see how easy it is to make these vegan black bean burgers? Watch the video:
Take your first steps and succeed on a plant-based diet with the Vegan Starter Kit:
Here’s what’s inside:
- Main guide with over 200 pages
- 40+ whole food plant-based recipes
- 14-day meal plan with 56 recipes & shopping lists
- Meal formulas for creating your own quick vegan bowls
- Thorough restaurant guide to find vegan meals anywhere
- Cheat sheet, worksheets, printables, and a FAQ e-book to make things easy & actionable
Click here to get the Vegan Starter Kit. It’s the perfect package for anyone wanting to transition or stick to a vegan diet for good! Use the code THESTINGYVEGAN to get a $5.00 discount!
Vegan Black Bean Burgers
- ¼ cup walnuts
- 1 clove garlic minced
- ¾ small onion finely chopped
- ½ cup mushrooms finely chopped
- ½ can (14 oz / 400 gram) black beans drained & rinsed
- ¼ cup rolled oats
- ½ cup cooked brown rice
- 2 tsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp + 2 tbsp mustard divided
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- ½ tbsp paprika
- ½ tsp salt
- Dash of cayenne & pepper
- 4 burger buns
- 2 tomatoes for topping
- Mixed greens for topping
- ¼ small onion for topping
- In a pan, dry toast the walnuts for 3-4 minutes until fragrant and golden brown, then set aside.
- Put garlic, onion, and mushrooms in the same pan and sauté for 5-7 minutes until everything is soft, then put in a large bowl.
- Add beans into the bowl to the onion, garlic, and mushroom mix and mash well with a wooden spoon.
- Using a grinder or food processor, loosely grind the walnuts and oats, then add them to the bowl as well together with all other remaining ingredients except for the buns, the 1 tbsp mustard, and other toppings. Mash and mix until well combined.
- Divide into 4 patties of around 1⁄2 inch thickness.
- Heat the pan you used earlier over medium heat and add the patties once it is hot enough. Grill on both sides for around 5 minutes until well browned.
- Let cool slightly, then assemble burgers by using (toasted) buns, patties, tomato, greens, onion, and mustard.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.