Almond Butter Noodles
These almond butter noodles are deliciously creamy, quick and easy to make, and packed with a rainbow of veggies. I used soba noodles for this vegan recipe but it works equally well with udon, rice noodles, zoodles or even simple spaghetti.
- 2 bundles (150 grams / 5.3 oz) soba noodles choose 100% buckwheat for gf option or wheat/buckwheat blend for cheaper option - $0.68
- ½ cup (120 ml) almond butter - $2.09
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce or tamari - $0.10
- 4 tablespoons lime juice - $0.61
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar - $0.09
- 2 tablespoons water - $0.00
- 1 teaspoon oil for frying - $0.01
- 2 teaspoons ginger grated or finely minced - $0.04
- 2 cloves of garlic grated or finely minced - $0.06
- ½ medium medium red onion thinly sliced $0.21
- 1 head of broccoli about 500 grams / 18 oz, cut into florets - $2.49
- 1 large red pepper spiralized or thinly sliced - $0.54
- 1 large carrot peeled and spiralized or thinly sliced - $0.20
- ½ teaspoon sea salt or to taste - $0.02
- 2 green onions sliced - $0.19
- A sprinkling of sesame seeds optional - $0.02
Cook the noodles according to the package directions. Rinse them under cold water while gently rubbing them together to remove the excess starch. Set aside.
In a blender or food processor, combine the almond butter, soy sauce or tamari, lime juice, sugar and water.
Heat a wok or large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the oil, ginger, garlic and red onion and stir-fry until soft and fragrant. Add the broccoli and stir fry until just about soft, then add the red pepper and carrot. Stir-fry until you reach the desired consistency for your veggies. I like mine still a bit crisp and not totally soft.
Turn off the heat and add the noodles and sauce to the pan and toss to combine everything together. Taste and add salt if necessary.
Serve in bowls and sprinkle over some sliced green onion and sesame seeds, if desired.
Calories: 424kcal | Carbohydrates: 54g | Protein: 18g | Fat: 19g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 1157mg | Potassium: 993mg | Fiber: 8g | Sugar: 10g | Vitamin A: 4485IU | Vitamin C: 181.6mg | Calcium: 208mg | Iron: 3.7mg