BBQ Tempeh Vegan Burritos
This vegan burrito is super simple to put together with deliciously smoky BBQ tempeh and fresh vegetables. Quick, easy and endlessly adaptable, burritos make a great no-fail weeknight meal!
- 1 package (125 grams / 4.4 oz) tempeh - $1.69
- 1 tablespoon oil - $0.05
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) barbecue sauce - $0.55
- 2 medium tomatos diced - $0.41
- 1 large avocado diced - $0.98
- 1/2 medium red onion diced - $0.16
- 1 tablespoon diced jalapeño (or more to taste) - $0.09
- A small bunch of cilantro - $0.40
- The juice of half a lime - $0.22
- A pinch salt - $0.03
- 4 large tortillas (mine measured 25 cm) - $1.59
- 2 packed cups (112 grams) chopped lettuce - $0.33
- Optional: vegan cheese, vegan sour cream, rice, beans, etc.
Slice the tempeh into strips (I got 8 strips from mine). Optional (sometimes I don't bother but it improves the texture and takes out any bitterness): boil or steam the tempeh for 15 minutes. Pat dry.
Heat a large pan over medium-high heat and add the oil. When the oil is hot, add the tempeh and fry for a couple of minutes on each side until golden brown.
Brush barbecue sauce on one side of the tempeh, flip and brush the other side. Give it a few minutes to caramelize on one side then flip again to caramelize the other side. Remove from the heat and brush any remaining barbecue sauce over the tempeh.
In a bowl combine the tomato, red onion, avocado, jalapeño, cilantro, lime juice and salt.
Fill each tortilla with some lettuce, the salsa and a couple strips of tempeh (plus any other extras you’re adding). Fold over the right and left sides then roll it up from the bottom. You can eat them just like this or you can toast them in a hot pan for a couple of minutes (start with the seam side down to seal it).
Calories: 404kcal | Carbohydrates: 49g | Protein: 12g | Fat: 18g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Sodium: 609mg | Potassium: 715mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 11g | Vitamin A: 1690IU | Vitamin C: 22.8mg | Calcium: 124mg | Iron: 3.5mg