- ¼ of a large cabbage (375 grams / 13 oz) shredded with a knife or mandoline - $0.37
- 1 large carrot peeled and julienned - $0.11
- ½ medium red onion thinly sliced - $0.18
- 3 tablespoons aquafaba (chickpea cooking liquid) - $0.00
- ½ cup neutral-flavored oil - $0.40
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar - $0.05
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice - $0.24
- 2 tablespoons sugar - $0.04
- ½ teaspoon salt or more to taste - $0.02
Toss the shredded vegetables together in a bowl.
Put the aquafaba in a tall measuring cup and blend with an immersion blender for about 10 seconds. With the blender still running, slowly (seriously slowly) drizzle in the oil, moving the bender around as necessary to emulsify the oil and thicken the mayo.
When the mayo is made, stop the blender and add the remaining dressing ingredients. Blend it all together (it will be liquid enough to pour).
Pour the dressing over the veggies and toss to combine. This makes quite a “saucy” coleslaw so if you prefer a drier coleslaw, add half the dressing and toss then add more until you’re happy with it.
Taste and add salt if you think it’s necessary. You can eat the coleslaw right away while it’s crispy or refrigerate it for later. The texture will become softer and more coleslaw-like the longer you let it sit.
Calories: 299kcal | Carbohydrates: 12g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 28g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 312mg | Potassium: 165mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 2605IU | Vitamin C: 25.6mg | Calcium: 31mg | Iron: 0.3mg
Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. Please refer to our nutrition disclaimer for more information.