- 1 cup cooked chickpeas - $0.36
- 1 packed cup chopped lettuce - $0.17
- ½ cucumber diced - $0.31
- 2 medium tomatoes diced - $0.28
- ½ a small red onion diced - $0.16
- 3 tablespoons chopped black olives like kalamata or other Mediterranean variety - $0.29
- 2 tablespoons olive oil - $0.10
- 2 tablespoons red or white wine vinegar - $0.18
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano - $0.05
- ½ teaspoon salt - $0.01
- Pepper to taste - $0.02
- 4 - 5 pita breads - $0.95*
Put the chickpeas in a bowl and smash them up a bit with a fork. Add the remaining vegetables.
In a small bowl or mason jar combine the oil, vinegar, oregano, salt and pepper.
Dress the salad and toss. You can either slice open and stuff the pita bread or spoon the salad down the middle and fold it up (it’s easier that way).
*My pita bread was homemade, that’s why it’s so cheap. You can use store-bought if you prefer.
Calories: 317kcal | Carbohydrates: 47g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 694mg | Potassium: 428mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 655IU | Vitamin C: 11.7mg | Calcium: 93mg | Iron: 2.4mg
Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and is approximate only. Please refer to our nutrition disclaimer for more information.