Vegan Couscous Salad
This is the best Mediterranean vegan couscous salad! Toasting the couscous first is a simple way to add an extra layer of flavour. Toss with your favourite vegetables and a simple dressing for a super quick vegan meal, potluck contribution or BBQ side dish!
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time5 mins
Total Time15 mins
- 1 cup (180 g) dry couscous - $0.52
- 1 cup (250 ml) vegetable stock or water - $0.32
- 1 cup (150 g) quartered cherry tomatoes - $0.53
- 1 can (14-oz / 400 g ) chickpeas, drained and rinsed - $0.65
- 1/2 cup (75 g) diced red pepper - $0.14
- 1/2 cup (80 g) diced cucumber - $0.15
- 1/2 cup (35 g) Mediterranean black olives, pitted and sliced (like Kalamata or Spanish) - $0.21
- 1/4 cup (30 g) diced red onion - $0.08
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped herb of your choice parsley, basil, cilantro, oregano, mint, etc. - $0.10
- Olive oil to taste - $0.40
- Balsamic vinegar to taste - $0.24
- Salt to taste - $0.03
- Pepper to taste - $0.03
Place the dry couscous in a dry pan over medium-low heat. Toast the couscous, stirring frequently and keeping an eye on it as it can burn quickly, until golden brown - 5 to 10 minutes.
Take the pan off the heat and pour over the vegetable stock or water. Quickly place the lid on the pan. Allow to steam for 5 minutes. Remove the lid and rake a fork through the couscous to separate.
Transfer to a large bowl. You can serve this salad warm or allow the couscous to cool first. Toss with the chopped vegetables and herb(s) of your choice.
Serve the salad the Mediterranean way with olive oil, vinegar, salt and pepper on the side for each person to dress their salad how they like.
Calories: 340kcal | Carbohydrates: 46g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 734mg | Potassium: 365mg | Fiber: 8g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 768IU | Vitamin C: 25mg | Calcium: 53mg | Iron: 3mg