Green Pizza with Herbed Vegan Cashew Cheese
This vegan pizza recipe is packed with flavour but without the grease and looks beautiful on the plate with fresh baby greens, steamed asparagus, creamy avocado all sitting atop a delicious cashew cheese flavoured with cilantro, mint and lime. Best of all it comes together in just 20 minutes!
- 3/4 cup (115 grams) raw cashews soaked overnight or in hot water for 10 minutes - $1.73
- 1 clove of garlic roughly chopped - $0.08
- 1 ¼ packed cups (65 grams) cilantro leaves and stems - $0.50
- ½ packed cup (13 grams) mint leaves only - $0.35
- 1 teaspoon sea salt - $0.03
- Juice of 1 lime - $0.19
- 1 ½ tablespoons nutritional yeast optional - $0.04
- 3/ 4 cup (175 ml) water - $0.00
- 1 pizza crust store-bought or homemade - $0.33
- 6 asparagus cut into bite-sized pieces - $1.49
- ¼ cup (60 ml) balsamic vinegar - $0.80
- 1/2 a small red onion - $0.08
- A small bag of mixed baby greens - $0.99
- 1/2 an avocado diced - $0.49
Combine all the ingredients from the cashews to the water in a blender or food processor and blitz into a paste.
Bake the pizza crust according to the package (or your recipe) directions half-way through until the crust is just beginning to turn brown. Take it out of the oven and spread the cashew cheese on top. You may not have to use all the cashew cheese now, reserve any leftovers to dollop on top of the baked crust. Continue baking the crust until is golden brown.
Meanwhile, make the balsamic reduction by heating the vinegar in a small pot over medium-low heat. Reduce until the vinegar can coat the back of a spoon and is reduced by about half.
Heat a small pan over medium heat and add a couple tablespoons of water and the asparagus. Cover and cook until tender, then remove the asparagus from the pan and reserve.
When the crust is baked, dollop over any remaining cashew cheese, sprinkle with red onion and top with the greens, diced avocado and asparagus. Drizzle over the balsamic reduction and serve.
Calories: 488kcal | Carbohydrates: 65g | Protein: 16g | Fat: 19g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Sodium: 1127mg | Potassium: 522mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 21% | Vitamin C: 17.9% | Calcium: 13% | Iron: 31.6%