Samosa Wraps with Homemade Mango Chutney
These samosa wraps are super easy to put together with spiced potatoes and peas, crisp greens, spicy red onion and a simple homemade mango chutney. Make these samosa wraps ahead and freeze them for a quick lunch (or dinner) throughout the week.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time35 mins
Total Time45 mins
- 3 large potatoes finely diced - $0.92
- 1 cup (140 grams) frozen peas - $0.34
- 2 medium mangos finely diced - $1.98
- 1 red onion half finely diced, half thinly sliced - $0.34
- 1/3 cup (50 grams) raisins - $0.36
- 1/3 cup (65 grams) brown sugar - $0.10
- 5 cloves of garlic minced - $0.16
- 2 tablespoons minced ginger divided - $0.13
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar - $0.30
- ¾ teaspoons sea salt divided - $0.03
- 1 ½ tablespoons oil - $0.08
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds - $0.02
- 1 long green chili pepper minced - $0.48
- ½ teaspoon chili powder - $0.05
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds - $0.05
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder - $0.05
- 1 ½ teaspoons garam masala - $0.11
- 1 teaspoon mango powder optional, or sub a squeeze of lemon juice - $0.07
- A small bunch of cilantro - $0.20
- 6 large tortillas - $0.92
- A bag (300 grams/10.5 oz) spinach - $1.00
Boil the potatoes in a medium pot until tender. Before draining, throw in the frozen peas, then drain the pot.
While the potatoes are cooking, prepare the mango chutney by combining the mango, the diced red onion, raisins, brown sugar, garlic, 1 tablespoon of the ginger, vinegar and ¼ teaspoon of the salt in a small pot. Bring to a simmer over medium heat and cook, stirring occasionally, until thick – about 30 minutes.
Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the cumin seeds and fry until they darken slightly in colour and release their aroma – about 30 seconds. Add the chili pepper and remaining 1 tablespoon of ginger. Fry until soft and fragrant – about a minute. Add the chili powder, fennel, coriander powder and garam masala and fry until fragrant – about a minute. Add the potatoes, peas, mango powder (if using), remaining ½ teaspoon of salt and 2 tablespoons of chopped fresh cilantro to the pan and mix well with the spices.
Make your wraps by placing a bed of spinach on each tortilla, topping with the potatoes, mango chutney, sliced red onion and a sprinkling of fresh cilantro leaves. You can fold them open-ended like a taco or fold in the ends and wrap them up like a burrito.
Calories: 344kcal | Carbohydrates: 64g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 6g | Sodium: 586mg | Potassium: 1041mg | Fiber: 8g | Sugar: 23g | Vitamin A: 111.3% | Vitamin C: 72.2% | Calcium: 15.6% | Iron: 38.8%