Thai Buddha Bowl with Peanut Red Curry Sauce
This Thai Buddha bowl is quick and easy to put together with heaps of fresh vegetables and crispy fried tofu served over coconut rice and topped off with a simple Thai peanut sauce with spicy red curry. Great for a weeknight dinner, these bowls come together in just 15 minutes!
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time10 mins
Total Time15 mins
- 1 1/3 cups (260 grams) jasmine or basmati rice - $0.70
- 1 cup (240 ml) coconut milk - $0.69
- ½ teaspoon sea salt - $0.02
- 3 tablespoons oil divided - $0.16
- 2 small shallots finely diced - $0.25
- 2 cloves of garlic grated or minced - $0.16
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger - $0.10
- 2 tablespoons Thai red curry paste - $0.27
- ½ cup (125 grams) peanut butter - $0.71
- ½ - ¾ cup (120 – 175 ml) warm water - $0.00
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce or tamari - $0.15
- 3 tablespoons lime juice - $0.75
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar - $0.03
- A block (about 14 oz / 400 grams) extra-firm tofu drained, pressed and cut into cubes - $1.49
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch - $0.08
- 1 medium-large carrot finely sliced - $0.11
- ¼ of a red cabbage shredded - $0.20
- 20 cherry tomatoes halved or quartered - $1.60
- 20 snow peas sliced in half $0.30
- 1 small mango diced - $0.99
- A small bunch of cilantro chopped - $0.20
- 4 tablespoons crushed peanuts - $0.91
Cook the rice according to the package directions. Once it’s cooked and while it is still warm, stir through the coconut milk and salt.
While the rice is cooking prepare the sauce. Heat a medium pan over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon of oil, the shallots, garlic and ginger and fry, stirring, until soft and fragrant. Add the curry paste and an additional tablespoon of oil if necessary and fry for a couple of minutes until the curry paste darkens in colour and is very fragrant. Put the curry paste in a bowl and add the peanut butter, ½ cup of the water, soy sauce, lime juice and brown sugar and mix until smooth. Add as much of the remaining ¼ cup of water as you want to reach a pourable consistency that you like.
Put the cubed tofu in a plastic or ziplock bag with the cornstarch and shake it to coat. Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil in the pan and fry the tofu, flipping from time to time, until it is golden brown and crispy on all sides. Remove to a paper towel-lined plate.
Divide the rice between four bowls and top with the vegetables, cilantro and peanuts. Serve with the sauce on the side.
Calories: 855kcal | Carbohydrates: 87g | Protein: 27g | Fat: 47g | Saturated Fat: 16g | Sodium: 1307mg | Potassium: 1156mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 19g | Vitamin A: 106% | Vitamin C: 90.3% | Calcium: 14.6% | Iron: 35.6%