Spanish-Style Vegan Lentil Stew
This Spanish-style vegan lentil stew is easy to make with very simple ingredients and perfect for vegans on a serious budget. Hearty and comforting, this oil-free recipe is great as a plant-based main dish for chilly evenings or as a side for a summer barbeque or picnic. It’s a freezer-friendly meal that comes in at only $0.50 a serving.
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time40 mins
Total Time45 mins
- 1 medium onion finely diced - $0.15
- 2 cloves of garlic grated or finely minced - $0.16
- 1 medium green pepper finely diced - $0.16
- 1 large tomato finely diced (bonus points if you remove the skin) - $0.14
- 1 ½ teaspoons smoked paprika - $0.15
- 1 bay leaf - $0.15
- 4 cups (1 litre) water - $0.00
- 2 medium carrots peeled and finely diced - $0.13
- 1 large potato peeled and finely diced - $0.23
- 1 ¼ cups (250 grams) dried lentils rinsed – $0.55
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce or tamari - $0.10
- 1 teaspoon sea salt or to taste - $0.03
- A few grinds of pepper - $0.03
- Garnishes of your choice optional
Heat a medium-sized pot over medium heat and add a splash of water, the onion, garlic, green pepper and tomato. Allow to cook until everything is very soft, adding more water if necessary. You want these ingredients to meld into the stew and not be detectable so let them get really, really soft.
Allow any excess water to simmer off and add the paprika and bay leaf. Allow to cook for about 2 minutes to bring out the flavour while stirring so it doesn’t burn. Add the water, carrots, potato and lentils. Bring to a boil then cover and reduce the heat to low. Simmer for about 30 minutes, or until the lentils are soft and creamy.
When the lentils are ready, add the soy sauce, salt and pepper to taste.
This stew can be served thick or thin. Add more water if you want it soupier. I thickened mine ever so slightly with a couple blitzes of an immersion blender, but it’s totally optional. It will also thicken as it cools. I garnished mine to make it photographic; garnishes are optional and of your choice.
Calories: 287kcal | Carbohydrates: 52g | Protein: 19g | Fat: 1g | Sodium: 1130mg | Potassium: 1091mg | Fiber: 22g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 117.1% | Vitamin C: 49.9% | Calcium: 8.2% | Iron: 38.6%