No-Bake Vegan Stuffed Peppers
Vegan stuffed peppers are an all-time family favourite. They’re easy to make, adaptable to whatever you have on hand and can be made ahead for a quick dinner with minimal prep. With a cheap filling of rice, mushrooms and carrots, these stuffed peppers are perfect for a filling meal on a budget.
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time25 mins
Total Time30 mins
- 1 cup (200 grams) brown rice - $0.31
- 1/2 an onion diced - $0.12
- 2 cloves of garlic minced - $0.16
- 300 grams (10.5 oz) mushrooms diced – $1.00
- 2 carrots peeled and diced - $0.21
- 1 ½ teaspoons smoked paprika - $0.15
- 1 teaspoon of your favourite dried herb I like sage but rosemary, thyme, basil will work - $0.10
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce or tamari - $0.10
- ½ cup (120 ml) tomato sauce - $0.20
- 4 medium bell peppers - $1.04
- A pinch of salt - $0.03
- A pinch of pepper - $0.03
Put a large pot of water to boil. Add the rice.
Heat a large pan over medium-high heat and add a splash of water (you can use oil if you prefer). Add the onion and garlic and sauté until soft. Add the carrots and sauté until soft. Adding more water if necessary. Add the mushrooms and sauté until browned.
Add the paprika and herb of your choice and stir for 30 seconds to bring out the fragrance. Add the soy sauce and tomato sauce, reduce the heat to low and cover to keep warm until the rice is ready.
Cut the tops of the peppers if they stand up or cut them in half from top to bottom if they don’t stand up and remove the seeds. Just as the rice is finishing, add the peppers and their tops to the pot. Boil for a couple of minutes until they are soft. Use tongs to remove the peppers and drain.
Drain the rice and add it to the pan with the mushroom mixture, add salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle salt and pepper inside the peppers, stuff them with the filling and serve.
Calories: 261kcal | Carbohydrates: 53g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 2g | Sodium: 696mg | Potassium: 872mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 10g | Vitamin A: 186.5% | Vitamin C: 192.7% | Calcium: 5% | Iron: 15.2%