Red Lentil Chili
This vegan red lentil chili is quick and easy to prepare, full of flavour and easy to customize with your favourite veggies and toppings!
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time40 mins
Total Time45 mins
- 1 onion diced - $0.13
- 6 cloves of garlic minced - $0.48
- 1 red pepper diced - $0.69
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste - $0.40
- 2 bay leaves - $0.30
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano - $0.12
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin - $0.20
- 2 teaspoons chili powder - $0.20
- 3 teaspoons smoked paprika - $0.30
- A large can (780 grams / 27.5 oz) whole or diced tomatoes - $0.88
- 1 cup (215 grams) red lentils rinsed - $1.25
- A large jar (570 grams / 20 oz) kidney beans drained and rinsed - $1.10
- 1 cup (240 ml) vegetable stock - $0.24
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup or sub brown sugar - $0.94
- 1 teaspoon salt - $0.03
- Pepper to taste - $0.03
- Lime slices to serve - $0.21
- Optional toppings: cilantro, jalapeños, hot sauce, diced avocado, green or red onion, cashew sour cream
Sautee the onion and garlic in a medium-sized pot with a splash of water over medium-high heat (you can use oil if you prefer). Once soft add the red pepper and cook for a few minutes to soften.
Once most of the water has evaporated, add the tomato paste, herbs and spices and stir for about 30 seconds to release the flavours of the spices.
Add the tomatoes (if using whole, break them up with your spoon), lentils, beans and vegetable stock. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cover. Allow the chili to simmer very gently until the lentils are soft – about 30 minutes. If too much liquid evaporates, add a touch more stock or water. If it’s too liquidy once the lentils are cooked, uncover and allow it to reduce.
Finally, stir through the maple syrup, salt and pepper. Taste and adjust the seasonings as necessary, adding more smoky, spice or sweet to your taste.
Serve with fresh lime to squeeze over and your choice of toppings.
Calories: 456kcal | Carbohydrates: 86g | Protein: 27g | Fat: 2g | Sodium: 1250mg | Potassium: 1760mg | Fiber: 29g | Sugar: 17g | Vitamin A: 52.2% | Vitamin C: 80.9% | Calcium: 18.9% | Iron: 65.2%