Vegan Fish Tacos
These vegan fish tacos will change your world. Crispy battered “fish” on a lime-dressed purple cabbage slaw and a refreshing mango-avocado salsa. All topped of with a squirt of spicy chipotle-lime vegan crema.
Prep Time30 mins
Cook Time15 mins
Total Time45 mins
Servings: 12 tacos
- 3 cups (about 300 grams) shredded purple cabbage - $0.58
- 2 limes the zest and juice of one, the other sliced for serving - $0.46
- 1 teaspoon sea salt divided - $0.03
- 1 mango diced - $0.75
- 1 avocado diced - $1.25
- 1/2 medium red onion diced - $0.17
- ½ cup (120 ml) soy yogurt - $1.00
- 2 teaspoons adobo sauce from a can of chipotle peppers - $0.33
- 1 jar of hearts of palm 6 pieces (can sub quartered artichoke hearts or oyster mushrooms) - $3.09
- Oil for frying - $0.40
- ½ cup (64 grams) flour - $0.04
- 1 teaspoon baking powder - $0.04
- ½ cup (120 ml) ice water (put some ice cubes in a measuring cup first then add water to reach ½ cup) - $0.00
- 12 small tortillas toasted in a pan or warmed in the microwave - $2.45
- A small bunch of cilantro chopped - $0.20
Put the cabbage in a bowl and squeeze over the juice of half a lime and add ½ teaspoon of salt. Toss to combine and refrigerate.
Combine the mango, avocado and red onion in a separate bowl and refrigerate.
Combine the soy yogurt, adobo sauce, the zest of one lime, the juice of ½ a lime and ¼ teaspoon salt in a bowl and refrigerate.
Slice the hearts of palm crosswise and lengthwise into four pieces. Heat the oil in a pan over medium-high heat and prepare a plate lined with paper towels. Make sure all the taco fixings are ready and the oil is hot before you mix up the batter.
In a bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder and ¼ teaspoon salt. Whisk in the ice water to make a thick batter. Don’t over mix this, it’s okay if there are still some lumps. Drop in a few pieces of hearts of palm and transfer them to the hot oil. Work in batches to avoid dropping the temp of the oil. Fry, flipping once if necessary, for a couple of minutes until they are golden brown then remove them to the paper-towel lined plate to drain.
Serve all the fixings on top of warmed tortillas with a drizzle of sauce on top and a sprinkling of fresh cilantro and a slice of lime on the side.
Calories: 144kcal | Carbohydrates: 23g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 5g | Sodium: 358mg | Potassium: 273mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 9% | Vitamin C: 29.4% | Calcium: 6.7% | Iron: 5.4%