Vegan Lentil Soup
This vegan lentil soup is a simple one-pot meal that’s inexpensive to make and hearty enough to fill you up. This recipe uses red lentils for their earthiness with dried apricots and lemon juice for a delicious sweet and sour flavour.
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time25 mins
Total Time30 mins
- 1 medium onion diced - $0.14
- 2 cloves of garlic minced - $0.08
- 2 carrots peeled and finely diced - $0.18
- ½ cup (about 100 grams) dried apricots finely diced - $1.51
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin - $0.10
- 1 ½ cups (300 grams) dried red lentils rinsed and drained - $1.17
- 1 can (390 grams / 14 oz) chopped tomatoes - $0.71
- 4 cups (1 litre) vegetable stock - $1.80
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice - $0.24
- Salt to taste - $0.03
- Pepper to taste - $0.03
- Optional: half a pomegranate to garnish - $0.79
- Optional: a small bunch of your favourite herb: cilantro, parsley, thyme, etc. - $0.10
Heat a medium-sized pot over medium-high heat and add a splash of water (or oil if you prefer), the onion and garlic. Fry (add more water as necessary if the pot is dry) until the onion is soft and translucent then add the carrots. Fry until the carrots are beginning to soften then add the apricots and cumin. Give it another minute or so, stirring, until the cumin is fragrant.
Add the lentils, can of tomatoes and vegetable stock and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cover the pot. Simmer very gently until the lentils are tender – about 20 minutes. Use an immersion blender, or remove some of the soup from the pot into a stand blender, and blitz until you reach the consistency that you want. You can make all the soup totally smooth or keep some texture.
Stir in the lemon juice, salt and pepper. Serve the soup garnished with pomegranate seeds and the herb of your choice, if using.
Calories: 318kcal | Carbohydrates: 60g | Protein: 18g | Fat: 1g | Sodium: 969mg | Potassium: 980mg | Fiber: 23g | Sugar: 14g | Vitamin A: 124.2% | Vitamin C: 12.3% | Calcium: 7.1% | Iron: 33.3%