Vegan Potato Salad
Meet your new favourite vegan potato salad recipe! The dressing is smoky, sweet and sour thanks to the delicious combination of barbecue sauce and vegan mayonnaise. Toss some pickles and green onions into the potatoes for crunch and you’ve got the best potato salad for your next barbecue, potluck or picnic!
Prep Time25 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time45 mins
- 2 pounds (about a kilo) of waxy potatoes (like red, fingerling, new or Yukon Gold) - $1.87
- Lots of salt - $0.10 - $0.10
- 3 tablespoons aquafaba - $0.00 (or you can sub a store-bough vegan mayo for the aquafaba and oil)
- ½ cup (120 ml) neutral-flavored oil (like canola, sunflower or vegetable) - $0.40
- 2 ½ tablespoons barbecue sauce - $0.34
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard - $0.02
- ½ cup (about 80 grams) chopped gherkins or pickles - $0.50
- 2 green onions chopped - $0.10
- Pepper to taste - $0.03
- Options: chopped celery your favourite chopped herb, red onion, black salt (kamal namak), paprika, hot sauce, etc.
Cut the potatoes into quarters and put them in a large pot of cold water. Bring the water to a boil and add a generous heap of salt (like a tablespoon). Simmer until tender then drain.
Put the aquafaba in a tall cup and insert an immersion blender. With the blender running, slowly drizzle in the oil until it thickens into a mayo. It’s important to do this very slowly to prevent the mayo from breaking. Obviously skip this step if you’re using store-bought mayo.
Stir the barbecue sauce, mustard and ½ teaspoon of salt into the mayo.
Once the potatoes are cool enough to handle, you can peel them if you want to (I didn’t) and chop them into smaller cubes. Since aquafaba mayo tends to melt over hot food I like to let the potatoes cool completely before putting together the salad.
Toss together the potatoes, gherkins, green onions, dressing and pepper. Taste and add more salt if you think it’s necessary. Serve immediately or refrigerate for later.
Calories: 430kcal | Carbohydrates: 41g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 28g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 402mg | Potassium: 1073mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 2.7% | Vitamin C: 25% | Calcium: 3.1% | Iron: 10.5%