Vegetarian Chili Recipe
This easy vegetarian chili recipe is made in just one pot yet packed with veggies, beans and spices. Perfect for a hearty plant-based meal on a chilly winter day!
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time45 mins
- 1 tablespoon olive oil - $0.10
- 1 medium onion diced - $0.32
- 3 cloves of garlic minced - $0.24
- 1 ½ cups (215 grams) diced bell pepper any colour or a mix - $1.44
- 1-2 jalapeño peppers diced - $0.41
- 1 6-oz can tomato paste - $0.99
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano - $0.20
- 1 tablespoon cumin - $0.10
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika - $0.12
- 2 teaspoons chili powder - $0.15
- 1 cup (90 grams) tvp - $1.53
- 1 large can (19 oz / 570) grams kidney beans do not drain - $0.75
- 1 ½ tablespoons cocoa powder - $0.06
- 1 can (15 oz / 400) grams diced tomatoes do not drain - $0.69
- 1 ½ cups (355 ml) vegetable stock - $0.69
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce - $0.04
- Salt and pepper to taste - $0.03
- 1 lime sliced - $0.23
- Optional garnishes: chopped cilantro, vegan sour cream or plain vegan yogurt, diced avocado, tortilla chips
Heat a pot over medium heat and add the oil and onion. Fry the onion until soft and translucent then add the garlic and fry until fragrant.
Add the bell pepper and jalapeño and fry until soft.
Add the tomato paste and spices and fry, stirring frequently, for a couple of minutes until the tomato paste darkens and the spices are fragrant.
Add the tvp, beans (with the aquafaba), cocoa powder, diced tomatoes (with their juices), vegetable stock and soy sauce. Bring to a simmer then reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 20 minutes to allow the flavours to meld. Stir from time to time and add more stock or water if it begins to look dry.
Taste and add salt and pepper if you think it’s necessary. Serve with a slice of lime in each bowl and your favourite chili toppings.
Calories: 283kcal | Carbohydrates: 41g | Protein: 21g | Fat: 5g | Sodium: 1321mg | Potassium: 829mg | Fiber: 15g | Sugar: 12g | Vitamin A: 65.7% | Vitamin C: 114.5% | Calcium: 19.6% | Iron: 42.8%