This vegan zucchini soup is ready in less than 30 minutes and requires less than 10 ingredients. It’s delicious served hot or cold and a great way to use up summer’s abundance of fresh garden zucchini!
So I’ve started making this vegan zucchini soup recipe not only for eating freshly made but also freezing some for the fall and winter.
Even if you don’t have a zucchini garden and you just love zucchini then you’ll surely enjoy this cheap and easy vegan soup!
The odd thing about zucchini is that it’s naturally creamy. You wouldn’t think so but when it’s cooked until tender with just a bit of stock and then blended it turns into a deliciously thick and creamy soup!
You don’t even need to add any cashews or vegan cream substitute to it if you don’t want to but I find a touch of coconut milk helps to elevate it just a bit more.
The key is to add just a touch, less than a cup, so that you can’t detect the taste of coconut at all and the flavour of the zucchini still shines through.
So to make this vegan zucchini soup simply sautee a diced onion and a couple cloves of garlic.
Once they’re tender and fragrant, add in an obscene amount of chopped zucchini. I had more than a kilo, which was just two monster zucchini from my garden, but probably more like 3 – 4 large supermarket zucchini.
You don’t need to peel the zucchini, I’m certainly too lazy to do so, but you can if you want the soup to have a consistent light green colour.
Let the zucchini sweat down for about 5 minutes to begin to soften then add just enough vegetable stock to cover, for me that was just two cups.
Since zucchini has a lot of water, it will release some as it cooks so you don’t really need to add a lot of stock, which would just dilute it.
You can also add your favourite dried herb at this point. This vegan zucchini soup works with any herb, really. I like either tarragon or thyme but you can use basil or anything else.
I only add one herb so that the flavour doesn’t become muddy with a mix of different herbs and just a teaspoon is enough to add a bit of background flavour without covering the flavour of the zucchini.
Simmer the zucchini until it’s tender – about 15 minutes – then blend it up either with an immersion blender or transfer it to a regular blender.
Add salt and a touch of coconut milk for extra creaminess and it’s ready!
This vegan zucchini soup is delicious served with crusty bread for dipping. You can store leftovers in the fridge for 4 – 5 days or in the freezer for 3 – 4 months.
Vegan Zucchini Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- About 2 1/2 pounds (1.13 kilos) zucchini quartered and chopped into pieces about 1/2 inch (1.25 cm) thick
- 2 cups (240 ml) vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme or tarragon can sub your favourite herb
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) coconut milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt or to taste
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and sautee until soft and transparent – about 3 – 4 minutes, then add the garlic and sautee until fragrant – about 30 seconds more.
- Add the zucchini and allow to sweat, stirring occasionally, until beginning to soften – about 5 minutes.
- Add the vegetable stock and herb of your choice. Bring to a boil then reduce the heat to a simmer and cook until the zucchini is totally softened – about 15 minutes.
- Remove the pot from the heat and blend the soup either with an immersion blender or by transferring it to an upright blender, taking care to leave the lid ajar to allow steam to escape.
- Add the coconut milk and salt and blend. Serve.