These vegan strawberry lemon poppy seed pancakes are easy to make and perfect for spring when the freshest ripe strawberries arrive at the markets. Serve them with vegan butter, maple syrup or a sweet homemade strawberry syrup for a delicious weekend brunch!
I’m not much of a sweet breakfast type of person, in fact I don’t have much of a sweet tooth at all. But from time to time I do crave a big stack of pancakes or vegan crepes on the weekend for nostalgia’s sake!
Spring’s arriving and with it lots of fresh, juicy strawberries. I wouldn’t say that strawberries are my favourite berry – that honour would go to raspberries – but they are the cheapest so I do try to take advantage when they’re in season.
Making vegan pancakes is super easy. You’ll just need flour, baking powder, plant milk, sugar and salt as your basic ingredients. After that the flavour combinations are up to you.
In addition to diced strawberries, I added the zest and juice of one lemon and a tablespoonful or so of poppy seeds. I love the little crunch of poppy seeds in my pancakes and baked goods!
Combine it all into a batter and let it rest for five minutes. This is to allow the baking powder to activate in order to give you the fluffiest vegan pancakes possible without the need for egg.
Be careful not to leave your batter resting for too long, however, as the baking powder will eventually bubble itself out and leave your pancakes flat as a pancake.
To top my vegan strawberry lemon poppy seed pancakes I made a simple strawberry syrup. This step is optional, you can just as easily top your pancakes with maple syrup, vegan butter or vegan whipped cream.
To make the strawberry syrup just simmer a cupful of diced strawberries in water for a few minutes. Then remove the strawberries and add sugar. Simmer a bit more until beginning to thicken.
Don’t reduce the syrup too much, it will still seem quite runny as you’re simmering it and that’s ok. It will thicken up as it cools. That’s why it’s best to start this recipe with the syrup and give it time to cool as you make the pancakes.
These vegan strawberry lemon poppy seed pancakes are best served hot out of the pan and while you’re still in your pyjamas. They’re a delicious way to start your day!
Wanna see how easy it is to make these vegan strawberry lemon poppyseed pancakes? Watch the video and share it on Facebook:
Vegan Strawberry Lemon Poppy Seed Pancakes
For the strawberry syrup
- 1 cup (150 grams) chopped strawberries - $0.45
- ½ cup (120 ml) water - $0.00
- ¼ cup (100 grams) sugar - $0.16
For the pancakes
- 1 ¼ cups (190 grams) flour - $0.10
- 1 tablespoon baking powder - $0.35
- 2 tablespoons sugar - $0.04
- ¼ teaspoon salt - $0.01
- 1 ½ tablespoons poppy seeds - $0.15
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar - $0.03
- 1 cup (240 ml) soy milk - $0.26
- The zest and juice of 1 lemon (about 4 tablespoons juice) - $0.48
- ¾ cup (100 grams) diced strawberries - $0.30
- Optional garnishes: more diced strawberries, lemon zest, icing sugar, mint leaves, vegan butter
- Start with the syrup. Put the chopped strawberries in a small pot and cover with water. Bring to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes until the water is bright pink and the strawberries are mushy.
- Strain the strawberries out and return the water to the pot. Add the sugar and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 5 – 10 minutes until the syrup begins to thicken. Since the syrup thickens as it cools, test the thickness by taking a small amount on a spoon and blowing on it to cool. When you’re happy with the consistency, remove the syrup from the heat and set aside to cool.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, sugar, salt and poppy seeds in a bowl. Put the 2 teaspoons of vinegar in a measuring cup and pour in the soy milk until you reach 1 cup (240 ml). Add the zest and juice of the lemon to the milk.
- Pour the liquid mix into the dry mix and combine. Let rest for 5 minutes. Heat a non-stick pan over medium heat. After the batter has rested fold in the diced strawberries and ladle a small amount of batter into the pan. Cook on the first side until the bubbles on the top begin to burst then flip to the other side.
- Remove to a plate and keep warm in the oven or under a tea towel until you’ve made all the pancakes. Serve with the strawberry syrup and your choice of garnishes.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.