These Mexican tortilla roll ups are vegan and make a great easy snack or appetizer. They’re super quick to make and perfect to throw together before having guests over.
I’ve been making these Mexican tortilla roll ups, or tortilla pinwheels, for years, even since before I was vegan. Most versions of this recipe call for cream cheese as the “glue” that holds them together. Rather than use some kind of processed vegan cream cheese product I used hummus, and they’re even better that the cheesy ones!
If you make your own hummus, which I always do since I’m stingy and it’s cheaper (from dry chickpeas that I’ve boiled, no less), you can tweak the flavours of the hummus to a more Mexican style by adding paprika, cumin, garlic, oregano, lime juice and whatever other herbs and spices you want.
Of course if you’re really looking for something quick and easy, a container of your favourite store-bought hummus will also do!
So to make these Mexican tortilla roll ups start with extra large tortillas. Mine measure 25 cm (almost 10 inches), that’s pretty big so if you can’t find them that big, no worries – this is one of those recipes where the measurements don’t matter too much. You can add a little more or a little less of any of the ingredients and it will still come out delicious.
Slather some hummus onto your tortilla and sprinkle over the “toppings”. I used black beans, corn, red pepper, red onion, jalapeños and cilantro for a nice rainbow of colours. Black olives, avocado or green onions also work well as substitutes.
I prefer to make these Mexican tortilla pinwheels pretty close to the time that I’ll be serving them. The tortilla does have a tendency to go a bit soggy from the hummus so I would recommend making them not more than an hour in advance of when you need them.
Good thing is that they’re quick and stupid easy to make. You can chop the veggies and prep everything in advance if you need to then it’s just a couple of minutes to put everything together and slice them into bite-sized pieces.
Got leftovers? Use them in these recipes:
Black beans, corn, red pepper, cilantro: Vegetarian Enchilada Soup
Red pepper, red onion, hummus: Sprouted Lentil Vegan Hummus Wrap
Vegan Mexican Tortilla Roll Ups
- 5 large tortillas mine were 25 cm / 10 inches - $0.92
- 1 ½ cups (350 ml) hummus (your favourite kind) - $0.90
- 1 can black beans drained and rinsed - $1.29
- 1 red pepper finely diced – $0.52
- A small can of corn drained and rinsed - $0.65
- ½ a red onion finely diced - $0.21
- 3 tablespoons chopped canned jalapeños - $0.75
- A small handful of fresh cilantro chopped - $0.10
- Slather the tortillas with about 5 tablespoons of hummus each, getting it all the way to the edges. Sprinkle over about 1 ½ tablespoons of each topping except for the jalapeños – maybe just ½ a tablespoon of those (unless you like it really spicy!)
- Roll the tortillas up tightly from the bottom. Gently slice them into bite-sized pieces. I always cut in the middle of each piece rather than starting from one end. That helps to avoid the filling squeezing out.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.