Vegan crepes are easy to make, can be made with a sweet or savoury filling, and taste just like the non-vegan version. This versatile recipe is one you’ll want to make again and again!
Right, so a lot of you have been asking me for more dessert recipes. I have to admit that I don’t have a sweet tooth. At all. That’s why almost all the recipes on the blog are savoury; I just never conceptualize sweet recipes because they don’t appeal to me.
Well, it’s not all about me. You’re the ones who are reading this so you’re the ones I want to please! So here you have sweet vegan crepes!
Crepes have always been a favourite of mine and they’re so easy to veganize. I usually make my crepes savoury with a mushroom and arugula filling, but you can easily use the same recipe to make a sweet version simply by adding a touch more sugar.
Of course it all comes down to the fillings you put in them and the toppings you add at the end. The possibilities are endless! If you watch the video below, you’ll see I slather my vegan crepes with this pumpkin spice almond butter. It’s soooo good! Then I top it with some powdered sugar, sliced almond and a scoop of soy nice cream.
If you want yours a bit healthier, go for some sliced fruit and a drizzle of chocolate sauce. If you’re gluten free you can use other types of flour (lots of recipes on the interwebs to guide you). If you’re oil free, you can omit it from the recipe and use a non-stick pan for cooking. If you want savoury crepes, simply reduce the sugar. Like I said, the possibilities are endless!
For whatever reason, vegan crepes have a reputation for being difficult to make. Not at all! Just keep a couple things in mind. You want them to be really thin so use just enough batter to cover the pan in a very thin layer otherwise you’ll end up with a doughy pancake. Also, the first one ALWAYS comes out wonky so don’t sweat it. Finally, practice makes perfect with the pan swirling technique.
So if you’ve got a sweet tooth, give these vegan crepes a try and let your imagination run wild!
Wanna see how to make vegan crepes? Watch the video and share it on Facebook:
- 1 cup (140 grams) all-purpose flour - $0.08
- 1 - 2 tablespoons sugar* - $0.06
- ½ teaspoon salt - $0.01
- ½ teaspoon baking powder - $0.03
- 1 ¼ cups (300 ml) plant-based milk (I used soy) - $0.29
- 2 ½ tablespoons olive oil plus more for the pan - $0.20
- Toppings in the video (optional): pumpkin spice almond butter**, sliced almonds, powdered sugar, vegan nice cream. You can add fruit, chocolate, coconut whipped cream, jam, maple syrup, etc.
- Place all the ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth and bubbly. Transfer to a bowl.
- Heat a large pan (mine measures 17 cm / 7 inches) over medium-high heat. When hot, add a drizzle of oil and spread it evenly around the pan. Place a small ladleful of batter in the pan and swirl the pan around to evenly coat the bottom with the batter. Cook until the top is dry and the edges begin to lift off the pan. Gently slide a spatula underneath and flip. Cook for a couple more minutes until golden brown on both sides.
- Transfer to a plate and keep warm under a towel or in a warmed oven while you make the remaining crepes.
- Finish with your fillings and toppings of choice.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.