This Mediterranean chickpea salad is a super easy 10-minute recipe that’s hearty, tasty and colourful! Great as a vegan or vegetarian main dish or as a side for a picnic, barbecue or potluck, this refreshing salad costs just $1.26 per serving!
Hot summer evenings call for cool, fresh soups and salads. My salads are never wimpy iceberg lettuce and tomato; rather they’re vegan high protein salads stuffed with a rainbow of vegetables, beans, lentils and grains.
This Mediterranean chickpea salad was inspired by the tri-colour cherry tomato mix I found at Aldi – every vegan on a budget’s favourite discount supermarket. Perfect for a simple salad of tossed Mediterranean vegetables and a simple olive oil-red wine vinegar vinaigrette.
This salad is a hybrid between a Greek salad, a pasta salad and a chickpea salad. No feta cheese to keep it vegan (although you could toss in some tofu feta if you like), and both chickpeas and pasta to make it a super filling and nutritious salad that can stand alone as a full meal.
A medley of summer’s seasonal vegetables: cherry tomatoes, cucumber, red onion, black olives and a can of artichoke hearts are all you need to prepare this simple salad. Of course you can add anything you like to it; arugula, peppers, other types of beans or fresh herbs are all great additions.
Mediterranean chickpea salad is a great make-ahead dish to prepare on a Sunday and pack for lunch during the week. And just like with my vegan avocado pasta salad, it’s a fabulous addition to any summer gathering – great for picnics, barbeques or potlucks.
Whip this baby up in the time it takes to boil your pasta and serve it alongside a cold soup like this vegan tomato basil soup and some crusty bread and you’re good to go!
Got leftovers? Use them in these recipes:
Cucumber, cherry tomatoes: Raw Vegan Noodles Salad
Mediterranean Chickpea Salad
- 250 grams (9 oz) of your favourite pasta - $0.34
- ¼ cup (60 ml) olive oil - $0.20
- ¼ cup (60 ml) red wine vinegar - $0.40
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano - $0.03
- ½ teaspoon salt - $0.02
- 1 small clove of garlic grated or minced - $0.03
- 2 cucumbers sliced - $0.60
- ½ a red onion diced - $0.18
- 500 grams (18 oz) cherry tomatoes halved or quartered - $1.99
- 275 grams (10 oz) kalamata or other back olive - $1.64
- 1 can (390 grams / 14 oz) artichoke hearts - $1.85
- 2 cups (400 grams) chickpeas - $0.30
- Cook the pasta until al dente and drain.
- Combine the olive oil, vinegar, oregano, salt and garlic to make a vinaigrette.
- Combine the pasta with the remaining ingredients, pour over the vinaigrette and toss well.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.