This Mediterranean chickpea salad pita sandwich recipe is super quick and easy. Simply toss a mix of veggies in a bowl, dress them with a simple vinaigrette and serve in a pita. Perfect for a fast no-cook lunch or a no-fuss dinner!
This recipe is a great fridge cleaner-outer. I had some chickpeas, a head of baby lettuce and a bunch of rando vegetables, including the last of this season’s heirloom tomatoes from my urban garden languishing in my fridge, just begging to be eaten.
I had all the makings for my Mediterranean chickpea salad minus the pasta so decided to put it all together in a delicious pita sandwich.
Generally speaking I make my own pita bread. This is more out of necessity of not being able to buy proper pita bread where I live but it turns out that pita bread is really easy to make.
The downside is that it takes a bit of time. I used this pita pocket bread recipe and it requires the dough to rise twice for 30 minutes each. The upside is that when you make them at home each pita pocket costs just pennies each.
Fortunately, pita bread freezes well so you can take a few hours on the weekend to make a big batch and toss them in the freezer for another day.
It’s possible to cut the pita pockets open and stuff them with the filling but the bread it quite delicate and can tear if you’re not careful.
The easy and lazy way to make this Mediterranean chickpea salad pita sandwich is to simply pile the salad down the middle of the bread and fold it up.
Of course that also makes it easier to pack yourself a pita sandwich for lunch at work. Just throw the salad and the pita bread in separate containers to keep the bread from getting soggy and take your lunch wherever you need to go.
Mediterranean Chickpea Salad Pita Sandwich
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas - $0.36
- 1 packed cup chopped lettuce - $0.17
- ½ cucumber diced - $0.31
- 2 medium tomatoes diced - $0.28
- ½ a small red onion diced - $0.16
- 3 tablespoons chopped black olives like kalamata or other Mediterranean variety - $0.29
- 2 tablespoons olive oil - $0.10
- 2 tablespoons red or white wine vinegar - $0.18
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano - $0.05
- ½ teaspoon salt - $0.01
- Pepper to taste - $0.02
- 4 - 5 pita breads - $0.95*
- Put the chickpeas in a bowl and smash them up a bit with a fork. Add the remaining vegetables.
- In a small bowl or mason jar combine the oil, vinegar, oregano, salt and pepper.
- Dress the salad and toss. You can either slice open and stuff the pita bread or spoon the salad down the middle and fold it up (it’s easier that way).
- *My pita bread was homemade, that’s why it’s so cheap. You can use store-bought if you prefer.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.